Waste Management

Compact Fluorescent Lights & Lamps

cfl-bulb.jpgCompact fluorescents lights, (CFLs), fluorescent tubes, high intensity discharge (some car headlights), metal halide, sodium, and neon lights contain mercury. (Common incandescent light bulbs are generally not collected. They are trash unless your town collects them with glass. Check with them—it depends on the markets.)

Municipal Collection

Towns can use the State contract for collection—much cheaper than at a household hazardous waste (HHW) collection. Contact the NH DES HHW Coordinator at (603) 271-2047 or hhw@des.nh.gov.


At these stores: Home Depot; some Ace and True Value Hardware Stores accept up to six at a time—give them a call.