Waste Management

Special Wastes

What is Special Waste?

The term "special waste" is being used in an informal way here to include items which are sometimes called "universal waste," as well as electronic waste, medical waste, automotive waste, and household hazardous waste. These are common hazardous products that, when disposed of improperly, pose risks to human health and the environment.

It is illegal to throw many of these special wastes in the trash. Please manage responsibly to protect our environment.

Universal Waste Drop-Off at Municipal Transfer Stations

What Can I Do?

  • Encourage your town to collect these items or to work cooperatively with other towns or the Regional Planning Commission to manage them.
  • Buy less toxic or non-toxic items—and only buy what you need.
  • Manage these wastes responsibly—do not throw them in the trash.
  • Let your neighbors know where they can take these wastes.
  • Join or start a Waste Management Education Committee in your community to teach others about responsible waste management.
  • Encourage your town to provide information about management options.

Other Resources

Types of Special Waste

Special Wastes Not Mentioned

Call the Upper Valley Lake Sunapee Regional Planning Commission at (603) 448-1680 or visit "What do I do with this?" page.